Using Cannabis for Sleep: 4 of the Best Products to Try
Looking all the way back to ancient times, people trusted cannabis flower to help them out when they needed sleep. Today, access to legal cannabis makes trying weed for sleep a totally accessible idea. And, there are so many products to try. The question is, what is the best cannabis for sleep? When it comes to marijuana and sleep, are certain weed products to help sleep better than others? Here’s a closer look.
Table of Contents
- Does Weed Help You Sleep?
- Which Cannabinoids Are Associated With Sleep?
- What Strain of Weed Is Good for Sleep?
- Other Compounds Found in Weed Products to Assist Sleep
- 4 Best Weed Products for Sleep & Pros and Cons of Each
Does Weed Help You Sleep?
Research has shown that cannabis may help you fall asleep and possibly even stay asleep through the night. However, THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) may also interrupt REM sleep cycles, especially when used on a regular basis for sleep.
Therefore, some researchers propose that using cannabis for sleep on occasion may be good, but not necessarily a long-term solution for everyday sleep problems. Of course, how cannabis affects sleep can vary depending on the strain, type of product used, and other factors like your personal receptivity to cannabinoids.
Which Cannabinoids Are Associated With Sleep?
Both THC and CBD (cannabidiol) are known to possibly help with sleep. However, there really is no magic ratio to look for. Some people claim that weed products that contain a more even ratio of THC and CBD are better for sleep support, and CBD may minimize the intoxicating effects of THC by just a fraction. Cannabinol (CBN) also offers sleep-promoting effects. In addition to cannabinoids, certain terpenes may have a role in sleep support. Myrcene, for example, is well known for acting as a sedative.
What Strain of Weed Is Good for Sleep?
Strains can be different as far as terpene and cannabinoid lineup depending on the grower. Therefore, it can be difficult to say that one strain specifically is best for sleep. Nevertheless, there have been a few strains that consistently get attention when it comes to good slumber, such as:
Other Compounds Found in Weed Products to Help Sleep
While cannabinoids are no doubt important when it comes to the best cannabis products for sleep, some products contain other supportive ingredients. For example, you may find a tincture or edible made with CBD and melatonin. Melatonin is a sleep-related hormone produced by the body that supports sleep and is available in supplement form.
The 4 Best Weed Products for Sleep & Pros and Cons of Each
Smoking flower is bar far the most common way people use weed for sleep. Whether you roll your own or drop some cannabis into a pipe, you can simply take a few puffs and find your way to peaceful dreaming. Further, there are so many strains to try and many are reported to help with sleep (as noted above).
Pros and Cons
- Pro: Excellent variety of strains to try for sleep
- Con: Requires smoking before bed
- Pro: Fast-acting way to use weed for sleep (usually works in just a few minutes)
- Con: Requires rolling papers, a lighter, a pipe, or other accessories
Tinctures are liquid extracts made with a carrier oil or liquid that have been infused with cannabinoids and possibly terpenes taken from weed. You simply place the dose on or under your tongue for dosing before bed.
Pros and Cons
- Pro: May give you more accurate dosing than smoking
- Con: May not give you the full spectrum of cannabinoids for the best sleep support
- Pro: Easier and more convenient than smoking flower
- Con: Usually doesn’t take effect as quickly as smoking
Edibles are easily one of the most popular ways to use weed for sleep. These products are infused with cannabinoids like THC and CBD, so you simply eat the edible before getting ready to go to sleep.
Pros and Cons
- Pro: No smoking involved and convenient to use
- Con: Takes longer to take effect (possibly up to an hour or more)
- Pro: Easy to dose accurately
- Con: Not always made with full-spectrum cannabis extracts
Trust Neighborhood Provisions for the Best Cannabis for Sleep
Looking for a sleep aid? Regardless of what route you take to using weed for sleep, we can help you find what you need at Neighborhood Provisions. Our Alpena, MI dispensary stocks a full inventory of premium flower and cannabis products, and our budtenders will be happy to offer guiding advice. Be sure to take a look at our menu to browse our selection before you arrive.